Orange County School Board Action Alert
URGENT! ORANGE COUNTY, TAKE ACTION NOW:
The Orange County School Board will attempt to ramrod a vote Tuesday night, December 11, on a dangerous and outrageous proposal creating special rights for homosexuals, transsexuals and others “protecting” “gender identity and expression” which will affect public school students, teachers and all school employees.
1) Click here to email Orange County School Board members and tell them “VOTE NO on the student and faculty gender identity and expression proposals”. After emailing, call the members and leave a message about your opposition to these dangerous proposed rule changes.
2) We need as many people as possible to attend the School Board meeting where this will be discussed:
Tuesday, December 11 5:30pm
445 W Amelia Street
Plan to arrive before 5:30 to get a speaker card in order to speak to the Board against these bad rule changes. Or come to stand with us– and wear a blue shirt to show unity. (Equality Florida, who is actively lobbying the School Board to take this action, will have supporters at the meeting in red shirts.)
Sign up for Florida Family Policy Council Action Alerts emails to receive the latest updates.
This new proposed “student and faculty gender identity and expression rules” are bad for many reasons:
1) Creates New and Special Rights for Homosexuals and Transgendered: The ordinance creates new and special rights and affirmative action for homosexuals, transgendered and others by creating a new protected class and a special legal classification based on “sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression”.
2) Weakens Florida’s Marriage Amendment as the Union of One Man and One Woman: Ordinances like this around the country have been used to undermine and overturn state marriage laws and state constitutional amendments defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Gay rights activists around the country have used the collective scheme of ‘non discrimination laws’ like this one to legalize homosexual marriages in states like Vermont, Iowa, New Hampshire and Washington, DC.
3) “Gender Identity and Expression” is Not Identified. The bad proposals do not define what is meant by “gender identity and expression”. The city of Gainesville passed a similar bathroom bill and defines it as follows: “An inner sense of being a specific gender, or the expression of a gender identity by verbal statement, appearance, or mannerisms, or other gender-related characteristics of an individual with or without regard to the individual’s designated sex at birth.”
4) Creates Legal Defenses for Pedophiles: The proposed language of gender identity and gender expression would allow male students and teachers to be able to use women’s bathrooms (and vice versa) based upon their subjective sense of whether they are a male or female at any given moment, allowing pedophiles to have a defense for using girls’ bathrooms. This shocking provision is being forced onto cities all around the country. The security and privacy of our children’s locker rooms, showers, dressing rooms, bathrooms and other separate facilities are all compromised.
5) Chairman Bill Sublette is attempting to ramrod this bad and dangerous proposal with little to no public notice. The only thing more outrageous than the proposals themselves are the way these proposed rule changes are being tried to be sneaked into law quickly without any public knowledge or notice.
- No notice to parents
- No notice to teachers
- No notice to administrators
- Not clearly identified on the meeting agenda
- No second public reading
- No notice to media
- The text of the bill is tucked away hard to find on the website and was only posted over the last couple of days.
6) There is no legitimate public policy for this rule change. Orange County, Florida is a tolerant place and there is no need for this proposal other than thrusting social change on children and teachers. Orange County Public Schools has no pattern of discrimination against gay-identified persons that would be solved by this proposal.